Pages

Who is the Ford of fashion?


Living in America, such a plentiful land of pride and freedom, one would think that we would be pretty much self-sufficient, but the truth is, we're not at all.  I buy tomatoes from Mexico, shrimp from Vietnam, toys from China, and clothes from India, Indonesia, etc.  My Ralph Lauren frames are even made in Italy.  So, where's all the American made goods?  I understand that not everything can be harvested or made here, but of the things I buy on a regular basis, many could be found in our own heartland, around various coastlines, and definitely in the deep South, the land of my roots.  Even more importantly, we could employ so many Americans by increasing our production of goods, leaving less to fuel the recession of our present time (I understand this isn't the only factor).  Since I write about fashion, I'm primarily concerned with clothes, shoes, and accessories made in the great US of A!

When it comes to fashion, many American designers top the charts: Donna Karan, Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren, Marc Jacobs, Zac Posen, Cynthia Rowley, Halston, Calvin Klein, Kate Spade, Vera Wang ... you know the names.  But how many of them are actually made in America?  The answer is very few.  In fact, I struggled to find any pieces in my own wardrobe that were made on our soil.  As a concerned consumer, I'm paying more attention to my clothing purchases, more specifically where they are made and in what conditions; fair trade is always on my mind, and in my opinion, buying American eases my concerns about the exploitation of workers in clothing factories.  We have revolutionized factory production with the best working conditions and wages around; just take a look at Ford Motor Company.  The question is: Who is the Ford of fashion?
 
If you wear strictly designer clothes,  you'll be excited to know of a few lines that are made here: The Row, line by Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen; Propr, men's line by David Arquette & Ben Harper; Vera Wang; and more. (see links below)

Those who don't buy designer can find American made clothes at American Apparel; Todd Shelton for menswear; Anvil, organic sportswear for men and women; Etsy for handmade clothes & American made vintage; and more. (see links below)

The feasibility of purchasing all of one's clothing items from US manufacturers is not great, but we can attempt to add an item here and there (or more).  It's like our fashionable patriotic gesture in doing our part when it comes to American made clothes because only a small number of us are actually concerned with this very important issue.  We are the few, the proud, the shoppers, who care about our style and where it's made.

Additional Links:

Because I can't possibly know all American made clothes and it would take me eons to research it, please post comments with links to those that you know.  Thanks in advance for sharing!

In the pictures above:
Picture 1: Purple floral print dress (purchased & made in Hawaii); The Limited rose collared cardigan
Picture 2: USA made Arden B. blouses; J.Crew jeans
Picture 3: Vintage USA made cotton poplin dress; Vintage necklace from the set of Sex & the City HBO Series; Ann Taylor sandals

 

1 comments:

Jenny Smith said...

Those shoes are super adorable and totally you :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails