Pages

Spending Wisely: The Summer Essentials

Among the many wonderful gifts I received for my birthday, I was definitely delighted with some gift cards to my favorite clothing stores.  I'm often a bargain shopper, finding a way to maximize my purchases either by price or utility, so this experience was sure to be the same.  I went for utility with this shopping spurt and gathered items on my list of summer essentials.  I didn't forget about the gentlemen either; you'll find a few must-haves in this post, as well.

WOMEN: I started with the perfect sateen shorts from White House | Black  Market, not too casual or dressy, but having the definite potential for day chic.  These shorts were paired with the perfect accessory: a black and white print sash.  A skinny belt would have been an equally exceptional choice to loop the shorts, but I'm more of a sash kind of girl. 

MEN: One of my guy friends found an excellent pair of seersucker shorts at J.Crew; they may be the only seersucker shorts I've ever really liked.  Pair these with a leather tipped web belt from Polo Ralph Lauren, and your wardrobe for the unbearable hot months is almost complete.

WOMEN: The next item I bought for myself was a not-so-nautical long cardigan in a fun summer fuchsia from Banana Republic.   Though the nautical trend is very tempting, it doesn't fit my personality, but if you'd like to give your long cardigan a more boat style, choose a neutral color, add a Breton striped tee, and you're done.

MEN: Though it may not scream runway style, I'm in love with Guayabera shirts for men.  I've seen some in blue linen without too much embroidery which are my favorite, but others with more embellishment can still be classy.  As this shirt has definitely replaced the Hawaiian print, it should be on the summer essential list for casual wear.

WOMEN: The last two items I purchased were a versatile cotton knit dress and sandals.  I desperately wanted a maxi dress, but I'm too petite for such an ambitious look.  Taller women are much more apt to pull off the maxi.  I chose a drop-waisted navy number with an embellished neckline.  I can dress it down for day (with my sandals) or dress it up with some fun heels for night.  Whichever style you choose, add a dress in a cool material to your summer wardrobe.

MEN: Lastly, for men I would recommend a comfortable slip-on with no-show socks.  Find a color and fit that you can wear on any given day, but please don't buy Crocs!  I suggest a shoe like the Bowles Slip-On from Johnston & Murphy, comfortable and stylish.

Shopping this summer doesn't have to be expensive.  Choose wisely and purchase items you can wear with many outfits.  For instance, a skinny belt can be worn with shorts or over the long cardigan.  Be creative and show your style with versatile pieces for summer.





In the pictures above:
Picture 1: Printed sash from White House Black Market
Picture 3: Long fuchsia elbow sleeve knit cardigan from Banana Republic
Picture 4: Ankle strap sandal from Gap

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails