"Florals? For spring? Ground breaking." Her sarcasm was infectious, but maybe her idea should have been more so. Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada spoke a truth about Spring attire that's not always followed. I definitely think I want to be her when I grow up; she's powerful, brash, and strikingly eccentric, but most of all she's got all the right ideas about style. Floral prints for spring are not the way to go. Can we break this Easter Egg pattern and find a new shell for Spring?
The good news is that some designers are doing just that. It may take plucking through some of the outer petals of the clothing racks, but you'll definitely find an enlightening new hue somewhere in the middle. The sweet nectar lives in the center of the flower! I'm talking about Purple Haze, and it took some searching to find this brilliant (but not bright) color for Spring. It's in Banana Republic's signature looks this season, but it's infiltrated other designer collections as well. My personal choice is the Silk Heritage Embellished dress, in petite of course, but I've found many suitable and beautiful pieces that give truth to the color of the season.
As I browsed Spring collections, I discovered Alberta Ferretti's silk and chiffon in tints of purple, perfect to pair with the yellow gold and mother of pearl in Bulgari's Serpent bracelet. I also fell in love with Tod's lilac suede Gommino, named for its ingenious rubber buffers that make the loafer perfect for daywear. Salvatore Ferragamo features a deeper purple shade for Spring eyewear in an exclusive model of sunglasses. All of this and much more tells us that purple is the color and you can wear it ANYWHERE!
As for florals, we won't forget their impassioned influence on Springs of the past, and we can definitely commemorate their significance in the season. Light touches of floral in an accessory commend the petals and your look. Flower pins, like those by M&S Schmalberg, can be worn on the shirt or a belt, and many designers are embellishing shoes with them. Keeping it small is the key.
So while you're shopping this season, look for the color that's changing clothes: purple. And always remember to buy shoes because every new outfit needs a fancy foot to carry it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
I just read this, I like that you wanted to branch away from floral haha I really don't own a lot of items like the romper, so i would have to agree floral is definitely one of those things not to be overdone :)
Post a Comment